Cholesterol is a fat-like substance in the human blood. There are two types of Cholesterol- HDL (good cholesterol) and LDL (bad cholesterol). When LDL gets abnormally high, then it increases the chances of coronary diseases and blocked arteries, which if not treated in time proves to be fatal.
Arteries help in blood transportation to and from the heart for proper functioning of the body. When LDL gets deposited on the walls of the arteries, the arteries get hardened and narrowed, which constricts the blood flow to the heart. Eventually, such a situation leads to heart ailments including life-threatening heart attacks.
A blood test called ‘Lipoprotein Profile’ helps to assess the levels of good and bad cholesterol. Less than 200 mg/dl of LDL is considered “normal.” Anything above is a cause for concern. A higher percentage of HDL is rather good as it prevents LDL from hardening arteries. So, how can you increase the HDL and reduce LDL without side effects of medicines? Read on to find out….
Ayurvedic Medicine for Cholesterol
Home remedies for high cholesterol is now gaining rapid attention as people are finding good results, without the weakening side effects of allopathic medicines. Try out the below listed home remedies for cholesterol control and experience a better you.
- Dietary modification proves to be one of the best home remedies for high cholesterol. Avoid using palm and coconut oil, reduce the salt intake and trans fat found in poultry products and processed foods. Consume low-fat dairy products, whole grains, vegetables, fruits and legumes, Flax seeds, nuts (in limited quantity or levels of cholesterol will escalate). Oats, Red wine, Salmon, Mints, Garlic, Spinach, and Olive oil. Avocados and Dark Chocolates are known to increase HDL and lower LDL. The anti-oxidants present in these food items help unclog the arteries and lessen the chance of coronary diseases.
- Having Garlic on an empty stomach is best home remedies for cholesterol to reduce cholesterol level.
- There are also some other foods which dramatically helps lowering the high cholesterol levels, these include soy products that contain isoflavones which aid in lowering LDL levels.
- 2 tablespoons of chopped walnuts, cashew and almonds five times a week can be a good ayurvedic home remedy for cholesterol.
- Take 2 cups of water and boil it along with the bark of Arjun tree. Keep boiling till it is reduced to one cup. Drink it lukewarm, once daily. Same can be done with Methi. You can mix methi powder in lukewarm water and consume.
- Lick 1 teaspoon of Indian Gooseberry juice along with 1/4th Turmeric powder twice, daily. This is a best ayurvedic medicine for cholesterol.
- Consuming Red Yeast Rice is an excellent home remedy for cholesterol. It contains a compound named ‘Lovastatin’ that reduces LDL production in the liver. Consuming 1200 milligram twice per day is recommended. Oyster mushrooms too serve the same purpose.
- Drink 3 glasses/day of orange juice for a month and see the improvement.
- Do exercise and avoid sedentary lifestyle.