The Health Benefits Of Walnuts Are Known Since Ancient Times
Walnuts are edible kernels that have been used since ancient times. The nuts are enriched with many nutritional benefits. The walnut fruit is available in several varieties. The most common varieties include English walnut, black walnut and white walnut. Species of the walnut tree are indigenous mostly in the North Temperate Zone and also in central America, Asia and New Guinea. Oils extracted from walnuts are used for cooking and contains medicinal properties. Thus, the health benefits of walnuts cannot be overlooked.
Nutritional Breakdown of Walnut:
One of the major walnut health benefits is the presence of omega 3 fatty acids essential for optimum health. They are also the richest source of many phyto-chemical substances resulting in overall high anti-oxidant activity.
It contains good fat. It is also the highest source of polyphenol. They are also a rich source of mineral like copper, manganese, iron, calcium, zinc and others.
Top Health Benefits of Walnut:
Walnuts also use in ayurveda. Walnuts health benefits are as follows:
- Heart Health- The presence of amino acid I-arginine offers multiple vascular benefits. The plant based omega 3 fat is anti-inflammatory in nature and prevents the formation of pathological blood clots. Consuming as whole or the oil can reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases
- Powerful Antioxidants- The health benefits of walnuts and almonds are that they contain several unique and powerful antioxidants and these include tannin tellimagrandin, flavonolmorin and quinine juglone. Hence, walnut prevent liver damage and fight against cancer causing cells.
- Presence of Melatonin- Melatonin promotes good sleep, dark light adjustment and daily rhythm of working. Walnuts contain high amount of melatonin that is certainly helpful in keeping life in a balanced form.
- Controls Weight- It helps in maintaining the ideal weight and increased satiety within a short time.
- Improves Brain Health- It contains large number of neuroprotective compounds like vitamin E, melatonin, folate. Hence, the consumption of the nut can boost brain health and improve performance.
- Improved Reproductive Health- One of the lesser known health benefits of walnut is that it improves male fertility. Adding 75 grams daily in the diet improves the quality of sperms along with motility and vitality.
- Control Diabetes- It improves the metabolic parameters in people having type 2 diabetes. One quarter cup daily can significantly reduce the insulin level.
- Bone Health- The anti-inflammatory nutrient present in the nut promotes bone health. Moreover, collagen components present in the nut indicate good bone health, which is certainly a great benefit of walnut.
- Reduces Problems in Metabloc Syndrome- The metabolic problems include high blood pressure, obesity and excessive level of cholesterol. One ounce of walnut daily can reduce many of these problems.
- Cancer Fighting Properties- Along with reducing the risk of prostate cancer, it can also reduce breast cancer. Two handfuls of walnut a day can cut the risks of cancers resulting in tremendous health benefits walnuts.
Thus, walnuts are good both for men and women. The daily recommended serving is one quarter cup which will offer the essential walnut benefits. It can be as nut or as oil for cooking for overcoming different illnesses.