Garlic Health Benefits Are Recognized All Over The World
Garlic has been recognized as an important ingredient since time immemorial for its astounding medicinal properties, culinary uses and large numbers garlic health benefits. The herbal plant is grown for its root or bulb and is believed to be originating in the central Asian region. Even modern science has confirmed several health and medicinal benefits of this plant.
Nutritional breakdown of Garlic:
- 1 teaspoon serving of raw garlic contains about 4 calories.
- It is low in fat and an entire cup would contain less than 1 gram fat.
- Each teaspoon contains saturated and polysaturated fat and no cholesterol.
- Apart from that, benefits of raw garlic in a tablespoon also means small levels of vitamins and minerals which include vitamin C, calcium, iron, copper and selenium.
- It also contains about 0.05 mg of manganese. Also a source of phytochemical compounds, it helps in preventing cancer.
Top Health Benefits of Garlic:
Here is a list of the potential health benefits of garlic in ayurveda.
- Potent Medicinal Properties- A compound present in garlic called allicin enters the body from the digestive tract and exerts potent biological effects in the body. It can boost the immune system. Daily supplements of garlic can prevent cold, cough and flu.
- Reduces Blood Pressure- Heart attacks, strokes and other cardiovascular diseases can be kept under control with the ayurvedic benefits of garlic. In fact, its supplements have a significant impact in keeping blood pressure under control.
- Improves Cholesterol Level- For those with high cholesterol can go for garlic supplementation because it reduces the LDL cholesterol by about 10-15% naturally. Even the triglycerides do not get affected.
- Loads of Antioxidants- Another garlic benefits in ayurveda is its antioxidant property. The body’s protective mechanisms get the best support with the antioxidants. High doses of garlic reduce the oxidative stress in people with high blood pressure. It also damages the free radicals that contribute to the aging process.
- Enhancing the Longevity- Garlic can help live you longer considering the fact that it reduces the risk of blood pressure, cholesterol and other heart diseases. It can even fight infectious disease.
- Improves Athletic Performance- Garlic is one of the best performance enhancers known till date. The ayurveda garlic benefits include reducing fatigue and enhancing work capacity. It also helps with exercise performance of athletes.
- Making a Delicious Dish- It can be added to the daily diet that not only contributes to deliciousness, but also aids in digestion.
- Improves Bone Health- It can minimize the loss of bones. A daily dose of dry garlic extract can decrease estrogen deficiency. The health benefits of raw garlic can even be experienced in osteoarthritis.
- Detoxifying Heavy Metals- The sulfur compounds can protect organ damage from heavy metal toxicity. The benefits of eating raw garlic ensure that the percentage of lead in the blood is reduced reducing blood pressure and headaches.
- Prevents Cancer- The properties in garlic help prevent cancer, especially stomach cancer and ulcers.
Garlic is a popular ingredient in cooking because of its strong smell and delicious taste. It can also be eaten raw daily or as supplements to experience the garlic health benefits.