The Health Benefits Of Cucumbers Can Help You
There are few foods that are as cool as cucumber. The low-calorie vegetables are associated with loads of cucumber benefits. Along with containing valuable nutrients, they also contain properties of hydration. Today, there are innumerable varieties of cucumber available in varieties of colors. While most think cucumbers to be vegetables, they are actually a kind of fruit.
The Nutritional Breakdown of Cucumber:
- The benefits of cucumber are certainly associated with the nutrients that it contains.
- These are good source of phytonutrients like flavonoids, triterpenes, and lignans.
- The peel and seed are the most nutrient part and they contain fiber and beta carotene.
- They are naturally low in carbohydrate, calorie, fat, sodium and cholesterol.
- From a cup of cucumber, you will get 4% of potassium, 3% of fiber and 4% of vitamin C.
- They are also enriched with vitamin K, magnesium, potassium, vitamin A and manganese.
Top 10 Health Benefits of Cucumbers:
Look at some of the top health benefits of cucumber.
- Source of hydration- Cucumbers contain about 95% of water due to which it is a great way to stay hydrated. A cup of cucumber slice can be equal to a glass of water. It also helps in flushing away toxins from the body.
- Prevents cancer- The two phytonutrient compounds contained in cucumber has anti-cancer benefit of cucumber. The compounds block the signaling pathways that are important for cancer cell proliferation.
- Improves bone health- Vitamin K is important for bone health and cucumber contains vitamin K. This might reduce fracture rates and can increase the bone density. It can also result in positive calcium balance.
- Improves skin- cucumber benefits for skin are endless. Since they have a cooling and soothing effect, they can decrease irritation, swelling and inflammation. The slices can be placed on the eyes to get rid of fluffiness.
- Better for heart- The potassium content of cucumber can lower the blood pressure and promote cardiovascular health, as a whole.
- Antioxidant properties- The benefits of eating cucumber are worth mentioning in terms of the antioxidant content. They have vitamin C and beta carotene along with flavonoids. Some of these even acts as natural histamines for the body.
- Freshens breath- Placing a cucumber slice on the mouth roof can help you to get rid of mouth odor. The excess heat in stomach is also often released relieving bad breath.
- Management of stress- Comprising of multiple vitamins like B, B1, B5 and B7, they can ease the feelings of anxiety and stress. Enjoy the cucumber juice benefits.
- Supports digestion- Water and fiber are required for healthy digestion and cucumber contains both these elements. The skin and seeds contain insoluble fibers for great digestive support.
- Healthy weight- The cucumber seeds health benefits also include managing a healthy weight because they are very low in calories but make a filling snack.
They can be sliced and used in salads and pickles. They can be made into juice or applied on the skin. They can also be cooked for experiencing the innumerable cucumber health benefits.